Thursday, September 11, 2008

We're buidling a prototype with the help of Neo and Jayway!

Great news! After my latest post here Emil Eifrem, a friend and the founder of Neo4j, mailed me and offered to help out with a prototype. Emil said that he and his colleague Johan could set of two to three days to get a prototype up and running. I talked to Thomas (Dagsberg, CEO of Jayway) and I got yet another great guy, Jan-Olof Eriksson, for a couple of days. All of the sudden we're a "prototeam" of four people on one weeks notice... Cool! And today we've started... one guy stronger then planned since Mattias from Neo also joined us :)

I had two days to prepare for a 3 day prototype spike. What do you need to land running? This is what I brought to the table:
  • Short user stories of what we are going to prototype
  • Lo-fi mock-ups of the visual parts
  • A sketch of an initial "meta" node space to define the domain
Janne tried to see to it that Subversion accounts etc. where available for everyone, but the time wasn't on our side on that one. Still, I think the preparations where good enough.

When we meet up today we started out by getting a collective feel for what we want to accomplish. The mock-ups and the user stories where good as a starting ground for both the API, the domain and the boundaries of the prototype. All and all we kept it simple and focused on a prototype and not the full implementation, and I think we managed rather well. At 11:00 the first lines of code were written (we meet up at around 09:00) and I have a good feeling about this :) Next week I hope to be able to show people a functional prototype, describing what it is we work on!

No comments: