Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Contact with Johan Sellström and the power of a prototype

A couple of month ago I sent out a mail to a couple of people that I met at TED this year informing them that I had started with my project. I basically said that I'm looking for money and if anyone wanted to know what I was going to do they could send me a mail. Surprisingly I didn't get that much feedback ;) In hindsight I can compare it with sending out a mail to publishers saying:
"I have this great script for a book! It's about a guy who's running from the law even though he is a good guy... and the a lot of cool stuff happens and there's a twist at the end... I can't really tell you more about it in this mail, but let me know if you're interested in knowing what it is about!"

Anyhow... Yesterday night I got a mail from Johan Sellström, co-founder of Icon Media Labs, who was one of the people that I mailed. It turns out that he is also doing a non-profit at the moment... He sent me a link to a prototype of his project and I understood it right away (and it fits very nicely with what we are doing)... This got me thinking of my own project. I said early on that if we have a prototype it would be soooo much easier to communicate what it is we want to do. The thing Johan showed me was pretty rough, but it absolutely did the job of communicating what he wants to do. This is noteworthy, I think...

After looking at Johans project I sent him a a document describing our project and asked if he has any connections that might be interested in funding it. Hopefully he knows someone that is, but either way I think our two project can have some nice effects on each other.

No comments: