Monday, October 20, 2008

I didn't apply to Project 10 to the 100th

I decided not to apply to Project 10 to the 100th. You might think I'm crazy but trust me, I gave this decision a great deal of thought.

Project 10 to the 100th is Google's initiative where they dedicate 10 million dollars to projects that will make the world better. This seemed to be a perfect fit for this project but, after careful consideration, it wasn't.

In the application you where able to describe your idea in 300 word and with a 30 second movie on YouTube. These ideas will later (Oct 27th) be subjects for an open vote which will result in the pick of a couple of project for a final consideration made of experts. A conceptually complex idea, like I have found ours to be, will have a slim to none chance to get past the open vote due to the sparse information that can be provided. And, yes, of course I did a 300 word informative description and a 30 second movie of the project. In whatever way I did it, it lacked the soul of the project... that thing that makes people excited when they hear about it.

The most probable outcome of applying would be that we go public with the project, do not get Google to do it and diminish our TED talk-value since the theme is "Great unveilings" and we would already have unveiled our project.

The fact that Google has last say regarding who should implement the project has had little to no impact on this decision. If Google where to implement this project they would most certainly make it a hit. The problem is that I don't think they would do so within Project 10 to the 100th. This, combined with a certainty that the companies within Way Group and our friends are able to get this project running, has lead me to the conclusion that not applying was the correct thing to do. I just hope I'm not proven wrong on this...

No comments: